Tuesday, June 30, 2009

She Keeps Getting Older But I Stay the Same Age

Ok, sure. You can say that it took me a long time to move Avery from her crib to a big girl bed. You could say that waiting until she was almost 3 was a little much. But she was happy in her crib! She didn't want a big girl bed! Who am I to argue with that?

If it weren't for my mom and her evil big girl bed at her house I would have been home free. But no, she couldn't resist. She started Avery in that big girl bed sometime after Christmas. Avery would spend one night a week at my parent's house and enjoy a perfectly fall-free night in a regular bed with no bars. Plus, she didn't get out of that bed until someone came to get her. As if there were some kind of invisible barrier at the edge of the mattress that prevented her from sneaking out to watch TV late at night.

The nerve.

I held on as long as I could but last month I gave in to her requests for a big girl bed at home and put her in a toddler bed. (baby steps, ok) She can get in and out herself, though most mornings she still prefers to call for us when she wakes up rather than getting out of the bed on her own free will. Going to bed at night isn't as easy as putting her in the crib once was, but she isn't bad, either. I guess what I am saying is.....we all survived. Things are fine.

But I was sad to lose her crib bedding because it was so sweet. Giving up her baby bumper pads, sheets and dust ruffle was tougher than I wanted to admit. It belonged to my baby. My infant daughter. I just couldn't see putting it in the attic until the heat destroyed it and we eventually threw it away. Plus, it was custom designed to match her room and there is no way we will find something at a store to match.

That is when I had the idea to make her bedding into a quilt. And thank goodness my friend Blake has a crafty mom who was able to make it for me! It is actually better than I ever expected it to be, and as you can see in the pictures, Avery loves it. (you can click on pictures to get a more detailed view of the quilt)

comfy! And a pillow made out of her sheets is so cute!

starting to get sleepy

...and she's out.

I am so excited to have this quilt that will last for many years to come. Now I don't feel so bad about putting away her crib because I get a piece of my not-so-tiny baby girl back.

2 comments:

Adam Shingleton said...

That ia an awesome idea! It looks so cute!

Lindsay said...

That was a great idea! I have said since Jaden was born that I would like to have someone sew all of his favorite small blankets into one big blanket for when he gets his big boy bed (which who knows when I will be ready for that!)