Thursday, February 26, 2009

Tina

My brother started dating my sister-in-law when they were in high school. I was either in 4th or 5th grade when she came into my life. I can't remember exactly because it seems like I've known her my whole life. Obviously growing up with two brothers meant that I never had that precious sisterly bond but having Tina around for so much of my life makes me feel lucky that I have something close to that. 

I remember when they went off to college and she would send me care packages with all kinds of ISU merchandise. I loved getting those boxes of t-shirts and notepads. She was the one who taught me how to make my hair defy gravity in the late 80s and I believe she is single-handedly responsible for the hole in the ozone layer above Southern Illinois. If she thought it was cool, so did I. 

Fast forward about 20 years and she is just as cool today as she was then. She and my brother are happily married with 4 beautiful girls. She has been a teacher and dance coach at the same school since she graduated college--even with all those kids to care for at home. I think she could probably be mistaken for one of the kids at her high school because she is so young and energetic. (just don't talk to her after about 10pm or so) She loves what she does and she is passionate about dance and winning. 

About 5 or 6 years ago her dance team started earning a spot in the State Championship in Illinois. This is 100% thanks to the hard work and energy that Tina puts into that program. She fights for those girls and she works her ass off to make the team the best it can be given the limited resources they have. Lots of other schools have the advantage of better locations and more money to attend private dance lessons during the off season. Tina's school is in the middle of nowhere so they don't have a great dance studio close. Despite this, they continue to excel and represent their school in the state tournament every year. 

This year there is a group that has done fundraising for her team to help cover the cost of all those dance shoes and competition trips. The group is called TDI and it is a group of guys at the high school that support the dance team (tough job, I know) by doing a freestyle dance in regional competitions. It sounds like it could be pretty funny. Right now voting is taking place to determine which school will get to have their TDI dance team perform at State. 

And this is where you come in:

I would love it if you could help me support my sister-in-law and her dance team by clicking HERE and voting for FIELDCREST. You have to enter your email address after you vote so they can ensure you are only voting once. 

I appreciate you taking just 30 seconds to do this for my sister-in-law. She has meant so much to me over the years and I would love to be able to help her out in the campaign for her school. It isn't a kidney or anything, but dance matters for her so I know it would mean a lot.

And as a reward, I will promise to post the YouTube video of them dancing if they win. :-)

No comments: