Saturday, August 1, 2009

Good Thing Methodists Don't Have To Go To Confession

It's been a busy week at work and it all ended last night with a roast of my friend, Blake, who is leaving for grad school at Texas A&M. We had such a good time making fun of him; and each other, since every good roast leaves everybody with a slight sting.

Since Blake is a huge fan of my cake balls, I made sure to have plenty on hand. Which meant a mid-week trip to the grocery store. I am not a big fan of these. I try to never go during the week if I can help it because I was not blessed with very much patience and I think we can all agree that there are some efficiency problems with grocery stores. But that's another post for another day.

The place was packed, of course, so I grabbed an US Magazine while I was waiting in the Line That Never Ends for my turn. I was probably 10 pages into it when I heard a familiar voice say, "Anything good in there?" When I looked up it was my pastor from church.

Busted.

I felt like a teenager caught with alcohol. There is just no recovering from that. There I was reading gossip in plain sight.

I quickly closed the magazine and chatted with her while we waited to check out. As we stood there talking I felt like I might as well have been standing there without my pants on. I started to feel hot. I think I even started sweating a little bit. If I could have melted into the floor, I would have.

I was scanning my brain to justify my action. Gossip magazines aren't called out in the 10 Commandments. At least I'm not committing a cardinal sin RIGHT HERE IN PUBLIC. Except, I am pretty sure the Bible mentions gossip in Leviticus. But!! that is more about spreading gossip, not reading it. So as long as I don't discuss what I am reading, I should be covered.

And just as I rationalized my sin the Lord had mercy on me and it was my turn to check out. I smiled and told her I would see her on Sunday and then left as quickly as possible. With my tail between my legs.

As I left I thought of some other things I could have said:
  • "What?! This isn't Good Housekeeping?!? That's what I meant to grab."
  • "I was just looking for the address for the publisher so I could write them and tell them not so spread such terrible gossip! Don't they know it is a sin?!"
  • "It wasn't me! I was dead at the time."
  • "Oh, you must have mistaken me for my twin sister. She is the good one in the family."
I'm sure she would have totally bought any one of those lines.



No comments: