Wednesday, April 8, 2009

Tonight at BookPeople

One of my favorite bloggers, Heather Armstrong of dooce.com, was in Austin tonight to read from her new book, It Sucked and then I Cried

I'm not sure of the exact moment when I turned into the kind of person that would get excited by a book reading, but here I am. My high school self is currently mourning the loss of any "cool" that might have been left inside of me. I not only went to a book store to hear an author read from her book, I marked it on my calendar months ago. And recruited a friend to go with me. I might as well start wearing "mom" jeans.

My friend Micha went with me. We started at Z-Tejas for drinks and queso before the reading. I have to stop here and say how awesome it is to be able to write that sentence. Drinks! With friends! Like a normal person! I got to read the drink menu with the intent to order something! I had one and a half drinks in the 2 hours that we were there, which is still not much but it is a good start. I was beginning to feel the effects and decided to stop before I finished the second drink, especially given that we 1. got slightly lost on the way there and 2. I almost got hit by another car--his fault, I think--before we got there. I will work my way up to 2 drinks in 2 hours...eventually. 

I would like to add that Micha MADE FUN OF ME this morning when I told her that I wanted to get to the bookstore early to get a good seat. She mocked me openly. But when we got there at 6pm it was filling up fast. We got the last two seats together (there was a huge standing crowd by the time it started) and we were two of the last people to get wristbands for the first group to get their book signed. So Micha, you can suck it for making fun of me. 

Anyway, here are some shots from tonight.


Did I mention that Heather is 7 months pregnant? Poor thing on all of those airplanes and security checkpoints.
I was balancing the book on my head in honor of Chuck.
Heather with me and my chins. We'll discuss this later.
Heather and Micha. Look how artistic I am to get the books in the photo, too. 

We had a really good time (sigh) and I am so glad we went. (dear God you might as well take me out back and shoot me.)

Meanwhile, Matt was in charge of getting both kids to bed at the same time. It didn't go quite as well as he had hoped, especially with Jack. I guess now isn't a good time to talk to him about going to see a personal trainer on Tuesday and Thursday nights at 7pm. I wonder if he'll notice if I just sneak out on those nights? Maybe he will just think I got lost in one of the piles in my bedroom. 

No comments: