Thursday, January 1, 2009

Oh, So This is What 2009 Feels Like

Happy New Year! I hope you had a memorable time bringing in 2009 last night. 

We attended Josh's annual NYE theme party as usual. This year was so much different than years past because the crowd was much smaller thanks to friends recently having babies, friends about to have a baby and various other no-good reasons (I'm talking to YOU, Sabrina!). Nevertheless, we had a great time as always and I was happy to be with the group of people that was there. Matt thinks it was one of the best parties ever because he liked everyone that was there and genuinely had a good time talking to everyone. (typical for Matt)

This year's theme was Beerfest (as in the movie) so the food and entertainment revolved around drinking beer, playing drinking games and eating lots of German food. I forgot to take a picture of the food but here is how the other parts of the night went.


playing beer pong in Josh's garage. Blake and Matt were the big winners of the night. Makes sense when you think about Matt's German heritage. I was so proud....

Blake acting serious for the camera. I wish this guy would learn to lighten up. It's NYE, after all. (Also, notice he is wearing an A&M shirt. I think he wears A&M clothes every day of the week. See him at the gym? Wearing a 2001 football shirt. See him at the grocery store? A maroon team logo tee. See him at work? The A&M polo. Cold weather? He could be wearing a sweatshirt, a windbreaker, or a zip-up jacket all with the A&M logo. This guy is prepared for anything and wants you to know how PROUD he is of his school. After midnight Josh immediately played the UT fight song.)


ok. We watched Dick Clark's Rockin' New Years Eve show and I have to say that it was the saddest thing ever. Why do they let Dick Clark continue to host these shows? I get that he probably wants to and that he feels he is up to it but it really is the most awkward thing to watch. The show just didn't instill a sense of celebration. Rather, you sat there hoping he is able to get the next word out and straining to understand what he is saying. We had to change the channel to Carson Daily (I KNOW!) because we just couldn't watch Dick Clark anymore. Plus, did you happen to see Kelly Pickler on the show? That girl had serious eye shadow issues going on. She would have put Tammy Faye Baker to shame.

Just after midnight the kissing began. But don't be fooled. These two (who normally party all night) were gone about 14 minutes after midnight. Derrin was drinking for 2 and Jolene was ready for him to fall asleep.

We stayed until a little after 1 and then headed home. It was our first NYE with 2 children and I will say that the biggest difference was our energy level and the knowledge that we would have to care for 2 kids (who probably won't nap at the same time just out of spite) the next day. I know Josh was a little disappointed in the turn-out but I hope he continues this tradition next year because it was fun no matter the crowd size.

*****************************

New Years Day

Avery and Matt went to the park today after nap. I know you can't tell from the picture, but he is wearing shorts and sandals (ahem, Tina) and she is wearing capri pants. It was warm and sunny in central Texas today so it was a perfect day for playing outside.

Here is Jack's first picture of 2009. Those PJs were a Christmas gift from Lauren and Olivia and I just love them!  It is so weird to think that he wasn't with us this time last year. He has been such a fun addition to the family that it just seems like he's been with us all along. He really seemed to enjoy his first Christmas and I am excited about all the changes that 2009 will bring. I loved the age range from 12-18 months with Avery so I can't wait to see how things go with Jack. 

Now I have to figure out what my new year's resolutions will be. I have some ideas but the list is so long and I need to prioritize so I don't fail at all of them by the 15th of January. More on that topic tomorrow.

No comments: